Since I have been using the Caron Cake yarns on a regular basis, I found a great hat for this yarn - Autumn Chill Slouchy Hat. I really like how the striping works when it is used for this pattern. I did, however, realize rather quickly that there was a good bit of leftover yarn, not enough to make another hat and not really enough to make a scarf, so I switched to a different version of this yarn available at JoAnn fabrics called Sweet Roll. This yarn is fantastic for this pattern. One roll makes one hat so there is no significant leftover yarn.
Finding how easy it was to make this hat, I started to alter it slightly. Still using the basic pattern, I can make different varieties of hats. They use about 200-250 yards each including a wonderful pom-pom on the top. The pom-pom was easily made with the help of the Clover Pom Pom Maker. You can get them at Michaels but I definitely recommend watching this video for help using it as the instructions that came with the maker are rather pitiful.
My first Autumn Chill Slouchy Hat was out of the Lemon Lime Caron Cake yarn. I actually ended up with enough leftover to make a child sized beanie (not pictured), but nothing really after that. I only made the beanie because I had requests for kids sizes at the craft fair that I did recently, so I figured that it wouldn't hurt to do one for now.
Unfortunately, the color got washed out quite a bit when I took the picture. It is actually far more vibrant than this.
After doing that one, I was out of cakes, so I switched to the Sweet Roll from Premier Yarns that I picked up at Jo-Ann's. I had high hopes for them since the Cake yarn had been such a good choice and I was not disappointed.
I used the following colors (from left to right) Cheesecake, Raspberry, Peaches, and Punch. I did find that when I started one of these, it was best to make the pom-pom first. That way if the yarns runs somewhat short for some reason, you won't have to go out and buy another cake just for the pom-pom. (Sorry, the color is off on these as well. Darn cell phones.)
After I got comfortable with how the pattern worked, I decided to switch it up a little bit. I used some of the same stitches, but also added in my own changes. I made a ribbed band on the bottom first off. I like the way it fits a little more snugly. Then I went into a HDC and a DCX stitch (a cross double chain - instructions here.) I just did this in rows until it was the length that I wanted. I am pretty happy with how they came out.
I used the Blueberry Cheesecake color of the Caron Cake yarn for this one. It worked nicely for two hats that were a little smaller than the one shown first.
I have made other hats with this general pattern out of other yarns and they all have come out rather nicely. I do recommend having at least 200-250 yards of yarn using anywhere from an "I" hook to a "J" hook to make it work out nicely. I may get around to writing out a pattern for the adjusted hat later on. No time right now.
Have a great day!