Sock it to Me!

I got a sock loom for Christmas!!

I had been wanting one for quite a while, but just couldn't make up my mind as to which one I wanted.  I also really didn't want to pay much for one since it wasn't going to be something that I knew I would use much.  After looking at Pinterest for different loom ideas, I realized that the loom could be used for far more than just socks.  So, I sent this to my husband and asked for it for Christmas.

Along with that, I asked for some sock yarn.  Unfortunately, the girl at JoAnn's didn't know the difference between the different kinds of yarn and told him that any yarn could be used.  I got some of the Big Twist yarn, which is fine and I will use it for something else, but it is just too large for the loom and it separates too easily when using the little hook.

After Christmas, I went to Michael's and got some Woolike Yarn from Loops and Threads in several colors.  It was on sale for $1.29 a skein, which is a great price.  The wrapper shows that there are 678 yards per skein, which would be enough for a pair of socks, but I planned to use it for legwarmers.  I grabbed one each of several colors: Sage, Teal, Pumpkin Spice, Golden Yellow, Ice Blue, Lavender, Charcoal, Mauve, and Rose.  This yarn is lovely!  It is so soft and works wonderfully on the loom.


Unfortunately, I did find that the instructions that came with the loom were terrible.  It didn't explain anything about how to cast on or how to tie off in the end.  There is a DVD that comes with it, but it's not something that I can just sit down and watch whenever, so I did the next best thing - went onto YouTube and looked for instructional videos.



This video really helped me figure out the casting on part.  I have used other looms before and I know that I have done this particular cast on, but remembering it was another story. =o)

My next problem was figuring out the different stitches.  It was easy enough to do the flat stitch, since it was just using the same stitches that you use when you do the casting on.  But if you want to do anything different like the knit stitch or the purl stitch, it requires something a little different.


There is also a video for doing the heel and toe.  I watched it, but I have had no luck figuring it out so far.  Then again, I think that my problem is that I just am having trouble wrapping my head around the whole thing.  I am fairly certain that is also the reason why I haven't figured out how to crochet them.




Here is the video for binding off your project.  



After binding off the project, you have to sew the toe together. 


How to make the cuff.


I really liked these videos as they were easy to follow.  My only complaint would have been the fact that no one can seem to focus.  

I really like how it is coming out so far.  The stitches are nice and even, though I have messed up a few times.  One of these days, I may be able to figure out the heel and toe, but until then, I will be able to make some legwarmers and probably some arm warmers.  


Thanks for stopping by!

Have a nice day!










0 comments:

 
Amber By Design Blog Design by Ipietoon