Christmas is just around the corner...

... and I have been crocheting like a mad fiend.

I decided to make a couple friends of ours scarves for Christmas.  One of them had mentioned something about a a pair of red dragon gloves using the crocodile stitch, but as of yet I haven't been able to figure it out.  So instead, I settled on a nice comfy scarf.  I made matching ones for him and his wife - a regular long scarf for him and a thick cowl for her.  I used the Lion Brand Scarfie Yarn for this project in the black and red gradient and it was wonderful to work with.  It is 78% acrylic and 22% wool, but blended nicely so that the wool isn't very scratchy.  I have a hard time working with wool sometimes, so I have to be careful which yarns I use for projects, but this one was very nice.  It is recommended for a "K" hook and crochets easily.

UPDATE:  I gave these to my friends this weekend and they loved them!  Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of them beforehand.  Oops!

Mug cozies are are also turning into a big Christmas project.  I sold a bunch of these at the craft fair that I did, some already on mugs, some just by themselves.  They are easy to crochet and whip up in no time.  I have been using the Lion Brand Homespun for these because the color variations make for a wonderful uniqueness when crocheting.  I can get about 10 cozies per skein of yarn and each one ends up being just different enough to be interesting.  The buttons for these are fun, as well, because I can sort through my button stash and find ones that compliment the yarn nicely.  I did buy some fun, silly buttons as well, just to change things up a bit.

For one of my former work colleagues, I make him something geeky every year.  So far I have made him a felt Jake the Dog from Adventure Time with wired arms so that he can be posed while he sits on the shelf; a crocheted Boxy Bear that I altered somewhat to look like BMO from Adventure Time dressed up as a teddy bear; and a felt Professor Farnsworth from Futurama Christmas ornament.  This year, I opted for something a little different.  Using the hat pattern that I have been altering (see my previous post Hats! Hats! and More Hats!) , I designed a Lumpy Space Princess slouchy beanie hat for him.  It has her big yellow star in the center of the front.  I had planned on making her face on the front as well, but once I got the star on it, I decided that was good enough.

My daughter is not forgotten in my crocheting frenzy.  I started working on a hoodie for her in purples and grays.  I am following a pattern for a Cheshire Cat Hoodie that I found on Pinterest.  I did add an extra skein of yarn in an eyelash style to the pattern that adds an additional layer of interest to the stitches.  The only complaint that I have at this stage into the pattern is working with the "Q" hook.  It is rather difficult to do so and I think that when I do this pattern again, I may make the base stitches longer and use a smaller hook.  Hopefully, I will remember to take pictures this time. 

She also has been very interested in Harry Potter lately, especially since we saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.  Her favorite character is Luna Lovegood and as of late she has expressed interest in having more Luna inspired items.  We printed some SpectreSpecs from a website and laminated them so that she could wear them around.  I really need to find a pair that aren't paper. =o)  I would love to be able to afford to get her Luna's wand for Christmas, but they are quite expensive.  What I did determine that I could do was make her a Ravenclaw scarf.  The house colors are Blue and Bronze in the books, but when we put the two together at the store, she didn't like the way that they looked.  So, with that thought in mind, we went with the movie colors which are Blue and Silver.  I haven't asked if she wants the fringe on the bottom, but knowing her, probably not.

I accidentally made her another gift - legwarmers!  She loves them and I was practicing a new pattern that I found on Pinterest - Draft Dodger Legwarmers.  The pattern is not difficult, but it is very time consuming.  And it takes a lot of yarn, approximately 500 yards for a pair.  I wasn't really prepared for needing that much yarn.  I started making the first pair - for her - out of the Wild Cherry Sweet Roll Premier Yarns that I picked up at JoAnns.  I got exactly one out of that cake of yarn, following the pattern perfectly.  Unfortunately, I will have to adjust the pattern up a little bit to make the pattern fit me because they won't really fit my larger calves.  Which means that I will probably need 600 yards for mine.  Oh well, I will figure it when the time comes.  Right now, I need to get hers done.

Christmas is coming and I am not really ready, but I will get there eventually.

Happy Holidays!

Have a nice day!




0 comments:

 
Amber By Design Blog Design by Ipietoon