Shrinky Dinks!!

I forgot how much fun Shrinky Dinks could be!  Lily got the idea somewhere along the way that she wanted to do some Shrinky Dinks.  Our local Jo-Ann's had some fun kits.  They come with 5 small blank sheets, a hole punch, some colored pencils and some templates.  I was really hoping to find some large 8x11 sheets, but I could only find the little kit.  We picked it up since with the coupon it was only $3.  Our first thought was Monster High (duh!), so I grabbed a skullette that I had printed out and proceeded to trace two out on some of the plastic.

The instructions said to only use the pencils that came with the kit, but after some research I found that any kind of pencil works fine.  In fact, I traced the skullette outlines with a 008 Micron pen.  It came out really nice.  I colored in with a black colored pencil and with a rosy pink colored pencil.  I was really impressed with how they came out looking so nice.  And that was before we baked them.

Following the directions, we set the oven for 350 degrees and put them in on an aluminum foil covered baking sheet that I have just for crafting needs.  I originally bought it for polymer clay, which I haven't done yet.  She sat and watched them for a little over a minute as they curled up and danced around, then flattened out.  


She chose her hooks and I set about putting them together.  I was VERY pleased with the way they came out.  And she was absolutely thrilled with them.  


Love you, Pumpkin Pie!  =o)

2 comments:

Mike Monaco said...

FWIW, the #5 plastic that food containers are made of will also work as shrinky dinks.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4516051_make-shrinky-dinks-plastic-containers.html

Amber said...

WOW! I never knew that! Thanks!

 
Amber By Design Blog Design by Ipietoon