Halloween Game 2009

Every year we host a Halloween game (not actually on Halloween as we take Lily trick-or-treating) and every year, inevitably, our friend Kyle, hereafter known as Hamster, gets his character killed. It's great.

The most memorable Halloween game for me was the one that I ran where the PCs got called to an island for a one-of-a-kind hunting opportunity. Everything goes wrong almost immediately and within the first five minutes of the game the PCs are arguing with each other in a large room. Doc has a shotgun, Party Gorilla tries to grab it, I make a roll, the shotgun goes off and Hamster's guy gets a hole through his chest. Five minutes. That's all it took. Five whole minutes. Since this is a regular thing for our game group, I made extra characters. I usually have to. Later on, Hamster's back-up character gets bitten (yes, bitten) by some plant creature and proceeds to spend the rest of the game turning into one of these things. I was great fun.

This year, however, I am having a little more trouble with my idea. I had originally thought up an old west game where an old stagecoach makes its way into a small town and stops there for the night. The PCs get stuck there and find that not all is right in the town. I figured out what was in the one horse town and who was there, but that was about all I could come up with.

Old west just wasn't doing it for me.

So, I decided on a really nasty dungeon crawl.

But, nah, not really a good idea for me for a Halloween game. I would rather run that for just a regular Sunday game.

So, instead, here is my idea: The Vatican Investigative Service (V.I.S) sets out to hunt down a rogue demon that is terrorizing the English Countryside.

I've had this idea for some time but just now decided to use it.

My only problem - SciFi Original Pictures Presents a SciFi Original Role-playing Game....

I can't think of a title.

9 comments:

peter said...

Maybe title it after an evocative location like Brimstone Moor or maybe even something corny like Belie Alley or St. Fallin's Annex. Or go for something more subtle like the Slaughtered Lamb (which was the name of the pub in American Werewolf in London).

I'm an Old West guy, so I would have stuck with that. Outside of Deadlands which can be more headscratching than scary, Old West horror doesn't get enough play.

romana1 said...

That's why I originally went with the Old West idea. I thought that it would be something different, something that hadn't been done for a while. But, I just can't come to terms with the whole idea.

I'm going to hold onto it for later. It won't disappear. =o)

Dr-Rotwang said...

Hmmm..titles. Titles, titles, titles...

Bloodykillangel?

Barking Alien said...

Titles for me are easy. It all depends on the mood you want to set. What's the theme/atmosphere for the adventure? Is it campy, action oriented or scare-the players'-pants-into-an-unflattering-shade-of-brown style horror?

I like Peter's idea of naming it by location. Mixed with the V.I.S. concept it could be "The Case of Brimstone Moor" or "The Incident at St. Fallin's Annex".

While I am good at titles, I'm not so experienced with horror so I'd probably need a bit more info to help more then this. Sorry. Hope it rocks!

Badelaire said...

Halloween-themed adventures are great - have GMed a couple myself, have played in a couple as well.

Not to wave my own flag overmuch, but if you need a little incentive to get rolling on your adventure, over at my blog I'm hosting a Halloween One-Shot Adventure Contest. Winner gets a $31 gift certificate to RPGnow or some other online RPG store.

Even if you don't win, I'd like to take all the submissions and bundle them as a free PDF of Halloween adventures to share with the community at large. So beyond the prize money, submitting is also a way of sharing your Halloween adventure with other folks as well.

Anyhow, just thought I'd toss that thought into the ring.

Silus said...

Here are the hesitant titles I've come up with: "Where Angels Fear to Tread", "The Night of Broken Silence", "Occulis ex Inferni" (Out of the eye of the inferno).

Jim said...

Vis-à-vicious?

Devin said...

"The Boogens".

Okay, that's actually a real movie title from my childhood, but it always made me giggle.

I think Barking Alien's on the right track. I also like "Occulis ex Inferni", though that sounds a little highbrow for the typical SciFi Original movie. My long-planned, never-run In Nomine adventure was going to be called "Fear To Tread", truncating Silus's title in a way that makes it sound like a demand from the GM...

romana1 said...

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, but I changed my mind again....

This time we're going with movie monsters that have to outrun ghost hunters. I'll post more on that one later. =o)

 
Amber By Design Blog Design by Ipietoon