Pseudo Greek Fantasy

Doc and I have been trying to make time to game lately but so far no luck. We tried to make Tuesday's after Super Princess Power Girl goes to bed our game time, though it got derailed over the last three weeks or so - I had to work late, nobody felt good, or we didn't have our game ideas together. It stinks. Hopefully today I'll get myself together and we can play tonight.

So, my idea for our first game is this -

A pseudo-Greek fantasy world along the lines of Hercules and Xena But not as silly. Basically, my thought was this: Wouldn't it be kinda neat to play in a fantasy world where the gods and goddesses interfere in the world of humans on a fairly regular basis. I had thought about using Forgotten Realms for this, but my only problem with that is that all of the pantheon seem so stuffy and uptight. None of them seem like they would be ready and willing to jump into the mortals and play around. Granted I suppose they could, but it just didn't feel quite right to me.

Then I thought, ok, maybe I'll just make up my own gods and let them mess around. That requires me to start from scratch and with the time that I don't have, that wouldn't be a viable option. So, instead, I just grabbed the Greek pantheon and let go. Anyhow, for some reason, they always seem to get involved with humans and wreak havoc regularly. It works for me.

The first game was mine and I had a few ideas.

1 - Traveling through the woods on the way to a village, the PC gets attacked by a group of bandits.
2 - PC gets to town and finds the leader of the bandits there waiting for his buddies, but instead gets the PC.
3 - PC has to steal something important from a temple to a local deity (probably just a patron).
4 - PC gets hired on as a mercenary to ferret out some baddies.
5 - PC accidentally gets married during a festival to Bacchus.

All those ideas are good and I will probably use them, but I decided instead that the first adventure was going to be the PC heading into a village on his way to where ever he was going and finding the whole place filled with the plague. Doors are "X"ed off and the whole place smells of death and decay. This kind of thing isn't completely uncommon, but what really takes the cake is that the dead who should have died from the plague aren't dead. They still roam the village. Why? I'm not sure yet.

Maybe:
- someone stole the sacred object from the local shrine to Hades. What would that object be? Maybe an everburning candle, a small statue, a fist sized gem, a tuna sandwich. Hmm...
- Hades is far too smitten with some mortal woman to pay attention to the dead and their needs.
- Hades has too many dead to deal with in Underworld and needs a Gatherer of Souls to help him out.

Now I just have to figure out which one I like the best.

5 comments:

Jayson said...

The Xena/Hercules setting does seem inherently gameable, all things considered. Good luck!

Brunomac said...

Xena and Herc were fun shows, but I think I would go for a more serious greek setting (not authentic, just less goofy. Lot of horrors in the Greek Myths. Be a shame to dilute them with lame humor and modern references like the shows were about).

romana1 said...

I agreed about the hokey stuff. I really didn't care so much for that part. Really I just liked the idea of the gods messing around with people for their own amusement.

Devin said...

That's a really fun concept for a somewhat different sort of fantasy game.

I did something along these lines with friends in my last year of art school, using the old Bard Games Atlantean trilogy books (what Morrigan Press's Atlantis: The Second Age was based on) as the basis. The change in technology, the ability to openly adapt elements of ancient cultures, the opportunity to steal from various sources (I added Themiscyra from Wonder Woman, since my wife was reading those comics at the time) and shamelessly throwing in personalities wherever I liked (I based the proto-Pharaoh of proto-Egypt on The Rock as the Scorpion King). It made for a really neat change of flavor.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to play long enough for me to introduce the gods themselves, but I had been looking forward to seeing what my players' reactions would be when they first encountered Ares and Athena...

Eric said...

I agree w/ Jayson, and I'm reminded of this webcomic - http://www.gastrophobia.com/index.php?date=2008-07-30

 
Amber By Design Blog Design by Ipietoon