Kids are something else

You'd think that kids are either made completely of rubber or out of concrete, but apparently not.

My daughter tripped and fell on Saturday night, right after I walked in the door from work. She tossed the books one way and she went the other. Screaming and crying ensued. I had no idea what had happened. I thought she had just bruised her bone and we continued on our way - read stories, said goodnight and went about our business. She woke me up about 2:30 in the morning when she crawled into bed with us. After that she slept on the couch. I didn't think anything of it. She's Lily - she doesn't get hurt. She just doesn't. Eight o'clock the next morning she's crying. All I can think of is that she really bruised herself. But there was no bruise and no swelling. So, we went on.

Our friends came over, we gamed, we laughed. She napped on the couch, was listless and not herself. It still never occurred to me that something might be wrong. She went to bed normally and slept all night long without any problem.

It wasn't until after almost a full day at daycare, that I realized something must be wrong. Her daycare lady said that she was favoring that arm (her left one) all day and started crying at the park when she bumped it. She suggested that it might be dislocated. I got on the horn and called the doctor to get her an emergency appointment. Now, I started to think that something was wrong...

...I felt like the WORST parent in the world.

I hadn't believed her when she said that it still hurt. I just thought that she was looking for attention - like most kids do when they get hurt.

At the doctor's office, I felt even worse when I found out what was wrong.

She broke her collarbone.

My child - five years old - had broken her collarbone.

Jeesh! Now I really feel awful. My little pumpkin. The child that bounces back from everything! But this time, she didn't bounce back all the way. This time there was a broken bone.

And what does she say? "Do they have pink slings?"

That's my girl!! Always looking for the bright side of things. Granted, they don't have pink slings, but we put a Strawberry Shortcake sticker on it and we're going to paint flowers on it later.

Man, what a weekend.

4 comments:

The Badger King said...

If it makes you feel any better, a friend of mine's daughter fel on a waterslide at a hotel on the weekend. He wrist was bruised, but she didn't think anything of, ad kept icing it all weeknd. FOund out today her arm was broken in two places. Que sera sera.

ze bulette said...

ouch! that's a tough girl, i've heard those breaks are painful. here's to a speedy recovery!

Silus said...

While in middle school, my (not identical) twin brother broke his arm playing with some friends. We didn't know anything was wrong until a whole week later, when he finally revealed it was still hurting.

The doctor asked "It's been like this for HOW long???"

They had to re-break it, before putting on a cast.

Gamer Dude said...

Little girls are tough I tell ya. I've got two little ones and they're both tough as nails. The eldest hates needles with a passion but has taken some very serious spills and come up grinning (concrete). My youngest is the one that's made of "rubber". She's slight, and bends like a little willow.

Don't be too hard on yourself though. Sometimes having tough kids backfires, and when they're hurt, I mean "truly" hurt, it can be tough to tell. There's no owner's manual on these little ones...so you have to wing it. Sounds like you're doing a good job of it.

 
Amber By Design Blog Design by Ipietoon