Nerdy Girl's Book Recommendations

In a recent comment to my book review of Downshadow by Erik Scott DeBie, Devin asked for recommendations for game fiction. I can think of a few good ones, so I thought instead of responding as a comment I would just make a general post, that way everyone can see them.

Ok, here goes (though it's not in order):

"Neversfall: The Citadels" by Ed Gentry is a pretty good one. It's a good, quick read that's captivating without being too intense. It gathers together the good things about the Forgotten Realms and puts them in front of you without making you choose the parts that you want to read. I liked it. I kept it instead of taking it to Half Price. That means a lot with me.

"Obsidian Ridge: The Citadels" by Jess Lebow has to be one of the best ones that I have read yet in the Forgotten Realms series. It is leading and misleading with it's characters. Said characters are interesting and intriguing, without being whiny or tiresome. I loved this one enough that I might read it again once I let more of it leak from my memory.

"Swordmage: Blade of the Moonsea" by Richard Baker
was pretty good. It was a little slow in places, but I enjoyed it. Even though there wasn't as much sword play as I would normally like in a Forgotten Realms, book I found that the parts where it was slower were still engaging enough that I didn't really notice. The second book in this series just came out in hardback, but I am waiting for either the hardback to pop up at Half Price or the paperback to come out.

"The Fanged Crown: The Wilds: by Jenna Helland
is another one of the ones that I really enjoyed. The main character is snide and enjoyable in his banter with his friend, who is also witty and fun to read. The story is good and engaging, while being a quick read. It also involves lost civilisations, which is always a good thing for me.

"Crypt of the Moaning Diamond" by Rosemary Jones was very fun. This was the first one that I picked up when I decided to start reading Forgotten Realms fiction. I loved it. The main character is a lot like one that I would have created for a game and that really drew me into it. I like the strong female warrior character type. The story was good without being too deep, so I didn't really have to think a lot - no flipping back through to find a place that explained something. I highly recommend this one.

"The Crimson Gold: Rogues Book 3" by Voronica Whitney-Robinson was the first one out of the series that I read. It doesn't look like any of the series actually is connected when it comes to the characters, so I don't think that I missed anything in the Rogues series. This book was pretty decent. I enjoyed the interaction between the main characters, though I was a little disappointed in the conclusion of the Prologue, but after further reading, I see where it went.

"Sands of the Soul: Sembia" by Voronica Whitney-Robinson I picked up at Half Price not realizing that it had same characters as "The Crimson Gold" and not be part of the same series. It was kind of nice to read more with the characters in it since they were engaging in the first story.

"Lord of Stormweather: Sembia" by David Gross
follows more of the family of the previous two. There are more book in this series, though I haven't gotten them yet. I'll check Half Price later on when I go up there in July. Anyhow, it was enjoyable, though a little slow since there wasn't a whole lot in the way of action. It involves several characters and some of them don't get a lot of chapter-time so you start to wonder what happened to them after a while. Then the next chapter is about them.

These are the ones that I have read recently and enjoyed. I hope that anyone else who reads them enjoys them as well.

2 comments:

Devin said...

Cool! Thanks for the recommendations. Just in time for some summer throwaway reading.

I think it's odd that a book titled Swordmage doesn't have much sword-play in it...

romana1 said...

Swordmage has some good swordplay in it, but I enjoyed it mostly cause of the nemesis.

 
Amber By Design Blog Design by Ipietoon